The town hall meetings that caused a stir over the summer have come and gone. Now that there is no easy forum for everyday American's to express themselves the time that has passed has allowed the politicians to forget all about it. Where once the bills were thought to be dead or dying they are now alive and thriving.
My thoughts are now dwelling on the fact that 51% vs 49% does not make a majority vote. It doesn't make sense that 51% of a population can have that much control over the other 49%.
Who has the power in this country? So called moderates. These are the people who really have the power and unfortunately, I feel that these "moderates" are the idiots who are easily swayed by the loudest voice coming out of their TVs. This week it might be Glenn Beck and next week Keith Obermann. Either way, they are uneducated to the issues and easily manipulated. These are the people who make those polls swing all over the place.
Lets use a rough made up number and say that 45% of people will always vote Democrat and 45% will always vote Republican. That means the remaining 10% are the decision makers. I do not think the numbers are close to being accurate but the percentage of decision makers are still a minority compared to the other too.
So what does this mean? It means that our countries direction is dictated by the minority. A minority that is flaky and easy manipulated. It is why the Democrats and Republicans are constantly swapping power.
What's the answer? Go back to the basics. Bring the power back to the states. Let the people of the state vote on whether they want to foot the bill to cover everyone who needs health care. Make it so 51% is not the majority and instead 75% is needed to pass a new law.
Add a run off system to our election so that when Dem, Rep, Independent, Libertarian, and Green party candidates run for office, the people can vote for who they want without fear. The candidates with the two highest number of votes run against each other. Then a person who preferred the libertarian but would take the Republican or the Green who would accept a Democrat, still get a voice and don't have to worry about their vote allowing someone they hate to get the majority. Think George Bush Sr. in '92 or Al Gore in 2000. Bush had Perot who siphoned votes and Gore had Nader who did the same. The people who voted their conscience and went for the third party candidate lost entirely because of it.
Conclusion: We a screwed and I see no end in site. No one trusts anyone, personal responsibility is gone, the hands are all reaching out for free gifts, and not one politician has come forward to say STOP WE NEED TO STOP.
I will campaign, fund raise, and vote for any politician regardless of party who comes out and tells this country the truth. That we need to stop spending, stop giving money away both inside and outside of this country, and that things are going to hurt worse before they get better. We, America as a whole, had a great run, but now we have to pay the credit card bill. Just like a family looking over their finances and realizing they are spending more then they make, we must tighten the wallet strings, cut our spending, get a second job, and start saving.
Things are not looking up, there is no silver lining, and there is no one in Washington who gets it. Do you at home get it?