Tuesday, March 9, 2010

200th Post - Patriotism

I am guilty of being overly patriotic, if that is even something that on can be found guilty of. I get goose bumps when I hear the "Star-Spangled Banner" before a ball game and want to stand up even if I am in my own living room. I get teary eyed when I hear Al Greenwood sing "Proud to be an American" or someone give a patriotic speech like the one below.

I do not know why I feel the way I do when so many others do not. I did not grow up in a home that was overly patriotic; my redneck, white trash step father cared only for himself. My father’s side of the family is patriotic, but I was not raised by them. At a young age I was drawn to the American Flag, I sang the National Anthem with pride in grade school, and meant it with all my heart when I recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

I joined the military to defend my country and give my life if necessary.
I was the only one in my basic training class who raised his hand when the question was asked, "Who joined to serve their country?". All the others raised their hands when they were asked if they joined for college or because they had no other options.

I have been an unrepenting patriotic sap for as long as I can remember and I hope to instill that in my children. All Americans owe everything they have today to the Founding Fathers and the men and women who have given their bodies to defend our way of life. I say that they gave their bodies because some came home, some lost limbs, and others gave their lives, but all gave themselves to a higher cause than themselves.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to be annoying for a second:

FIRST POST...

And first to say "Congratulations on your 200th post!"

I would like to think that as I've grown older I've grown more patriotic. It's hard not to when you have a family full of military folks.

For that I'm patriotic.

Our political decisions? Maybe not so much.

But no one's perfect :P